Subject: Re: stability?
To: None <spork@inch.com, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 08:55:05
Colin Wood wrote:
>Well, to get 16MB, there might be a couple of ways to go, both of them
>involve buying all new chips :-(  Since 30-pin SIMM's have to be replaced
>4 at a time (they're 8-bit chips, 4x8 = 32-bit data path), you can either
>buy 4 4MB SIMM's and put them in the bank where the 256kB SIMM's are and
>then pull the 1MB SIMM's (you said you only wanted 16MB, right? ;-), or
>you can get 8 2MB SIMM's (assuming that they even make them for your
>machine, and I think that they do).

Be SURE to get SIMMs that are specifically for the II or IIx - usually they
are described as "with PAL" which means they have a special chip to
accommodate the design change that occurred in 4 Meg SIMMs between the time
Apple designed the II & IIx and the time the $ Megs became available.

>Also, don't buy parity SIMM's, since I think that only a few
>models of the IIci and effectively use them.

In addition to which, they may fry your motherboard!

Dan Killoran

Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
                 Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
      Fast service - accurate work - responsive support

         (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)