Subject: Re: stability?
To: Adrian Rollett <>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1997 17:38:55
>On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Christopher R. Bowman wrote:
>> >	What kind of stability are those of you doing programming on these
>> >boxes experiencing. Can you keep them up for days and days?
>> >(asking for a programmer friend)
>> >
>> >-Adrian
>> I can't really give you long up time statistics since I perodically compile
>> new kernels and reboot using them. However, I can say that I can't remember
>> the last time I crashed the kernel, further this is the rainy season/high
>> electrical use season here in Washington DC and I have  been having short
>> blackouts.  My IIci often stays up for weeks before such a blackout or
>> kernel change, but then again I am working on one of the more stable
>> machines, the Mac IIci's are pretty well supported.  Your mileage may vary
>> if you have one of the stranger lc 475's or something, and I'll leave
>> others to comment on that, what type of machine are you considering using?
>A Mac IIci :)
>I want to get a cache and see if I can get that to work, I've read that it
>speeds things up considerably :) That and buying as video card <sigh>
>money money money

You shouldn't have any trouble, if you do (or anyone else withaa IIci)
please let me know and I will try to help you out.

As for the cache card, I just took a look at my kernel config and it seems
that I have the IIci DISABLE_EXT_CACHE set in my kernel so that I am NOT
using the cache card (even thought I believe that I have the card installed
in the machine).  I guess it is time to go and recompile a kernel and see
if it works.

Christopher R. Bowman
My home page