Subject: Re: stability?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1997 17:56:17
Bill Studenmund wrote:

[snip]

> On the "don't buy" suggestions above, I'd change it to, "don't pay extra."
> For instance, if parity SIMMs are on sale, go for them. You won't use
> the parity part, but it'll be fine. Just don't pay extra. Also, for the
> speed, for 72 pin SIMMs (which aren't what you want here), a number of
> the vendors around here (Fry's at least) have discontinued everything but
> 60ns. So if 60 is the cheepest, I'd say go for it, even though you only
> need 100ns.

Ok, slightly better advice, I'd say ;-)

> > > And is there any way to make a Mac automatically power up after a power
> > > failure?
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't think that there's an easy way to do this with a
> > IIx.  The IIcx does support this feature (it was the first Mac to do so,
> > IIRC).  There might be some external hardware you can buy to perform this
> > function, tho.
>
> You're right that the II didn't do it, but I thought the IIcx and IIx came
> out at the same time. So I'd (potentially incorrectly) expect the IIx to
> do it also. Weird.

As for this, the IIcx came out after the IIx.  It was a shrink of the
logic board, I think, in addition to a few other changes (like the type of
RAM used).  They might have been a year apart or less, tho.  This was back
in the days when Apple didn't introduce and discontinue 4 models every six
months.  There is probably some info on Apple's website to tell one way or
the other, tho (or a knowledgeable IIx user could pipe up and tell us how
it is).

> On macs which automatically support it, you just push the power button in
> back in, and turn it 90 degrees, say with a dime or a screw driver. If the
> power button on the IIx has such a slot, it'll auto-reboot. Though NetBSD
> mightn't be too happy.

Well, it's not going to be too happy when the power goes out anyway....

Later.