Subject: Re: creating A/UX partitions with mkfs
To: John Price <pricej@CEBAF.GOV>
From: Howard S Shubs <hshubs@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1997 19:58:01
>This program is not as flexible as the older version, but I don't know
>enough to know whether I can partition the disk with 2.7.3 and then
>replace the drivers with those from 4.0.9.

I find that 4.0.9 is too buggy, so I've upgraded to 4.1.

>When I partitioned this disk (700 Mb APS drive), I created a MacOS
>partition of 200 Mb, which I intend to use with the MacOS.  I then
>created a MacOS partition of 464 Mb, which will be the Root&Usr
>partition, a 34 Mb MacOS partition for the Swap, and then a 1 Mb
>partition to try and get around the "off-by-one" problem I've read so
>much about recently.  The latter three show up as "APS Drive (n)" in the
>list above.  I didn't have anything to do with the apparent placement of
>the partition map in the middle of the drive; the software did that all
>by itself.

What I find works well is to make a small MacOS partition for booting the
machine from scratch, as well as a small "swap" partition, and an A/UX
Root&Usr partion.  Then you can aim mkfs at the A/UX Root&Usr partition and
be all set.

Howard S Shubs         hshubs@bix.com
The Denim Adept        hshubs@mindspring.com