Subject: Re: stability?
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
From: Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1997 18:02:07
> >	What kind of stability are those of you doing programming on these
> >boxes experiencing. Can you keep them up for days and days?
> >
> >-Adrian

I've been running a -current snapshot from about 5 months ago on a IIx,
and it doesn't do a whole lot besides act as a caching proxy server
(squid) for my home network.  It also runs a very small web server
(thttpd), and sshd... The only time it's gone down is from a
power outage.  It recently had an uptime of 60 days.  The only problems
I've seen stem from the fact that it's only got 5megs of memory, which
really isn't enough to compile anything sizable without getting memory
faults; this just kills the running gcc process, nothing else.

While I'm posting, does anyone have recommendations on memory?  I'd like
to bring it to 16M, but the variety of 30-pin simms is confusing me...
Any suggestions on a vendor knowledgeable about old Macs?

And is there any way to make a Mac automatically power up after a power
failure?

Thanks,

Charles

Charles Sprickman 				Internet Channel
INCH System Administration Team			(212)243-5200
spork@inch.com					access@inch.com