Subject: Re: Macintosh Performa 475
To: Johan Claesson <Johan.Claesson@uab.ericsson.se>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/1997 18:20:50
>I yesterday tried the HWDIRECT.173 kernel with serial console, no
>success though!
>This is the result from Mac ROM. One strange thing is; that it says that
>the internal disk is an IDE? As I said erlier, I have made changes to
>the motherboad, to make it run at 33 MHz instead of 25 MHz. May this
>change cause any troubles? MacOS itself can't no longer recognise what
>kind of Macintosh model i've got. I'm planning to setup a cross-compiler
>on my Sun SparcStation 5 at work. This to make the LC/Performa 475 run
>NetBSD. Help is welcommed!

Johan,

The LC-475 and Performa-475/476 probably won't work correctly with the
current MRG routines in NetBSD.  They attempt to use the same ROM Vector
Table as the Quadra 605, but have a different address for the
ADBReInit_JTBL (patches in ROM).  This will probably cause the system to
fail during ADB initialization.  However, since they have a unique
Gestalt ID not currently used by any other supported system, all that
needs to happen is for someone to put in a new ROM Vector Table entry and
re-build the Kernel.  I'd be happy to do this, but my 68K Mac is still
off-site.  Maybe someone else on the mailing list can help by building a
Kernel you can test with.

Unfortunately you have another problem on your system that will prevent
you from running stock NetBSD, and that's your changed motherboard.  As
you have said MacOS no longer recognizes your Mac and that's because it
has no known Gestalt ID value.  This is what NetBSD uses to index into
it's tables of known ROM vectors in the MRG code.  You could use the
value of zero as an index, but that would take a custom Kernel, and I
doubt that those changes would ever be introduced into the sources since
they'd only support your configuration.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
-bob