Subject: lo0 and networking device files?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/1997 12:55:49
Hi All,

I have begun to work on getting networking/PPP up and running on MacBSD.
I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject playing with the
various configuration utilities.  One thing caught my eye - there are no
device special files for either the loopback interface 'lo0', or the ppp
interfaces 'ppp0' & 'ppp1'.

When my system boots, ifconfig gives me an error like SIOCGIFFLAGS:device
no configured, or something like that.

Later, however, when I check ifconfig -a or netstat -i, lo0 shows up and
so does ppp0 and ppp1.

What gives here?  Is there any significance to any of this?  Why is there
nothing in the MAKEDEV scripts about creating any networking special files?

Any insights on this stuff is much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Adam