Subject: Re: cat on console locks terminals out?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG, sheldon@atlcom.net>
From: Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.mckusick.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/1997 02:48:32
> I started the cat on the terminal, and then started it on the console.
> Immediately the cat on the terminal stopped and only resumed when the
> cat on the console was finished.

I admit to ignorance of the NetBSD/mac68k console code, but on other systems
I've worked on, interrupts are usually masked while the console is being
updated, effectively freezing the entire system whenever you scroll.

This is why dt and X are Good Things :> The console isn't meant to be used too
much anyway; it's just mainly a way of bootstrapping to a more comfortable
(and processor-efficient!) environment.

I'm copying this to the list because I'm not really sure that this is correct
for NetBSD/mac68k; can someone confirm/deny?

	~Ben