Subject: Quadra: unexpected trap on install?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Yasi <pyasi@gis.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/03/1997 01:14:34
I am trying to install NetBSD mac68k onto my Quadra 630.  I have 20 megs
of RAM and Mac OS 8.0 (I tried it with 7.5 and it made no difference) ,
040 cache is off and all extensions are off.  No Virtual Memory, Black &
White Monitor settings, a 240 meg Quantum HD (200 Root/Ust, 40 Swap),
standard mouse & keyboard.

I am aware that the Quadra is not fully supported by NetBSD mac68k but
from what I can tell on the web site I should be able to at least run it
in console mode.

Everything installs well and then I get to the booter.  I tell it to boot
from the devide on ID 4.  It begins booting, lists off 5 numbers in
XXXXX+XXXXX+XXXXX+XXXX format.  Then it boots into BSD, goes to the black
and white all text terminal screen.  Shows that it's loading:

NetBSD 1.2.2
Apple Macintosh Quadra 630
real mem=20971520
avail mem=17457152
using 240 buffers containing 835584 bytes
mrg: Quadra/Centris ROMs, ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
adb: bus subsystem
Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xfc80, 0x4100183f, 0x4b807926, 0x      0
mrg: setup egret:
unexpected trap; vector offset 0xb from 0x002000.

This is where it gets stuck after getting an this unexpected trap.  This
is the first time I've ever got this far with putting unix on my Mac,
usually something else breaks first.  I would greatly appreciate any
insight you may have about this type of problem, and any possible
work-arounds.  I have some marginal programming experience and am trying
to install this so I may better understand our UNIX systems at work, I
can play with it at home before breaking the computers at work and
getting the sys admins angry.  Frankly, I really don't know what an
unexpected trap means.

Thankyou,
Paul Yasi
pyasi@gis.net