Subject: Re: bash etc...
To: John Ostrowick <jon@colossus.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/02/1997 22:19:06
On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, John Ostrowick wrote:

.. hi y'all.
..
.. ok, i've installed bash for root now, so i'll wait and see if it messes up.
..
.. in the meantime, it says this to me:
..
.. /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: libc.so.12.3: minor version >= 5 expected, using it
..  anyway

This is a symptom of having a precompiled version of a program linked on a
system with a newer libc than yours.

One solution is to upgrade your system to a more recent release (or
snapshot of current).

The other solution is to compile the program itself. Bash compiles out
of the box on several (all?) NetBSD ports.

- Erik

PS: I've just verified that on my Quadra 610 running NetBSD, root's
login shell is /usr/local/bin/bash. I've never noticed any problems
with this setup.