Subject: disklabel working?
To: Port Mac 68K <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1997 14:14:22
Hi, all.

I'm adding an old, small SCSI HD to my SE/30, so that I can get some
experience installing disks. I want to do the complete job from within
NetBSD, but I'm having some problems.

I don't see a generic 'SCSI' entry in /etc/disktab. However, when I write a
disklabel (using the first drive spec in /etc/disktab, which is to say
"disklabel -w -r sd2 sd7958") the partitions I create don't seem to stick
anyway.

Is it possible to label, partition, and format a disk from within
NetBSD/Mac? I've just resorted to using the Mac-side utilities, but I'd
rather redo the job from within NetBSD so that I can get a little
experience with doing it.

NetBSD doesn't seem to follow the disk formatting procedures listed in the
Unix System Administration Handbook. Is there a good source of information
out there, outside of the disklabel and newfs man pages? Perhaps a FAQ or
something?

Thanks, and later...

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();