Subject: Re: IIvx working?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.mckusick.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/1997 18:07:33
Thanks to Michael, Nigel, and Daniel for suggesting an older booter! :-)
I now have NetBSD 1.2 up and running on my IIvx. I really appreciate all
of your help.

There's only one problem: cpp crashes the machine. Yes, folks, I can swap
it to death, I can run many parallel untars, I can drive the load up to
10 with no problems, but as soon as I run cpp, it panics with a memory fault.
And what's worse is, I got a crash dump, but gdb refuses to open it--it
says there's no such file or directory. ktrace confirms that it's opening the
core file and reading 32 bytes from it, but then it tells me the core file
doesn't exist.

I expect that the problem is fairly simple, like some bounds checking isn't
being done right in some system call that cpp is using, but it's fairly
hard to track it down at all without gdb :-) What should I do? Would it help
to upgrade to 1.2.1 or one of the snapshots? Are these two things known
problems, or have I run into something obscure?

Thanks!
	~Ben