Subject: Re: Optimal partitions?
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Sheldon Simms <sheldon@atlcom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/1997 04:19:49
brian wildasinn wrote:

> hi!
>
> Is there a better approach to disk partitions? I'm trying to avoid
> wasted space of small files stored in large block size partitions....

[much snipped]

The large block sizes you are thinking of are a feature of HFS, not
the hard drives themselves. Since you are creating NetBSD partitions, this
won't be a problem.

> Since netbsd uses fragments of 512 blocks, can't i just make the whole
> jaz disk a "NetBSD Root & Usr" partition and call it a day?

I believe the default blocksize in mkfs is 8k, where each block has 8 1k
fragments. Anyway, I installed a new 2 gb drive today and my NetBSD
partitions are a single 1gb Root&Usr partition and a 40 Mb /tmp partition.
Actually, I originally had a 250Mb Root partition and 750Mb Usr partition,
but I had some trouble with the filesystem and so I reformatted the drive,
after which I figured "what the hell" and made it a single partition.
In any case, the important part is that you don't have to worry about
the block size like you do for HFS partitions.