Subject: Re: ".: Out of file descriptors" ????
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/1997 11:01:32
brian wildasinn wrote:

> Ooops! i meant "out of file descriptors". Problem's still there--help!
>                        ^^^^
> That may sound trivial, but my guess is that a note like this means some
> files need to get dumped or deleated.  Could that be so?
>
> > A Q700 running multiuser netbsd 1.2G (060197 current) system on a jaz
> > removeable disk no longer gives an option of choosing [vt220] anymore.
> > After the "Welcome to NetBSD" it now says,
> >
> > I've been doing lots of reboots and using "Shutdown now" and Cmd+d; I
> > also have chat script debugging on for trouble shooting ppp (with PAP),
> > so the /var/log/ has lots of comments. doesn't debugging go to the /tmp
> > directory which gets emptied each reboot? Attempting ppp in X11R6 has been
> > easier by killing an xterm rather than reboot.

Hmmm...the "out of file descriptors" I think occurs because of per process
limits on the number of open file descriptors, although there is a system
limit on them as well.  It may be that you have some kind of daemon
process that is going out of control and opening a zillion files????  I
assume that this behavior doesn't happen under single-user?

Later.

I speak only for myself, not for my employer.