Subject: Re: fifo overruns
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/1997 10:55:53
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> What's the baud rate you're using to talk to the modem? It should be
> fairly ovious in the ppp scripts. :-)

It wasn't that obvious the last time I looked, but I have a feeling that
it might be 19200...quite possible that I set that accidentally since
that's what I set the remote connect speed at also...ugh...I'll have to
check this when I get home.

> > > We've just been discussing fifo overruns (in the generic case) on another
> > > NetBSD list...
> >
> > Yeah, I noticed...the reason why I didn't post there was that it seemed
> > more focused on silo overflows, which I thought had a different root
> > cause, and which I thought that the mac68k port had just about eliminated
> > (or am I thinking of ring buffer overruns???)
>
> As I understand it, silo == ring. The silo is the place where things
> are stored until they can be used (processed) by the input routines.
> The ring buffer is a particular implimentation used by the zs drivers
> (they all pretty much do the same thing).

Ah.  Thanks for the explanation!

> fifo overruns happen (on mac68k) when we spend too much time at
> splhigh.  ring overruns happen when we spend too much time with
> interrupts blocked, as pretty much any interrupt blocking will keep us
> from servicing pending tty characters.
>
> Paul Goyette also complained of problems with the newest current giving
> fifo overruns. I wonder what we changed.

I believe I remember seeing something about Scott having changed the way
splraise semantics worked, or am I just mis-remembering something from all
the NetBSD lists I'm on??? ;-)

Later.

I speak only for myself, not for my employer.