Subject: Re: System 7.0.1 vs. NetBSD/mac68k
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/1997 20:34:53
>Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>>
>> >If you'd like to set up a minimal (and fast booting!) Mac environment to
>> >boot NetBSD, here's one possibility.  The requirements:
>
>[snip]
>
>> Actually, Apple supplies disks that will boot any Mac ever made. Look
>> around on Apple for something called Network Access Disk (NAD). It is a
>> system 7.5 boot disk image that contains everything needed to connect to a
>> network (EtherNet or LocalTalk). You can use this the same way as the 7.0.1
>> you found.
>>
>> The URL is:
>> <ftp://ftp3.info.apple.com//Apple_Support_Area/Apple_SW_Updates/US/
>>   Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.hqx>
>
>This is what I used to make my NetBSD boot floppy (in the boot-floppy
>howto).  However, 7.5 is _really_ slow booting on an SE/30 or even my
>IIci.  7.0 and 7.1 are quite snazzy, tho.
>
>> Mike
>>
>> PS my Quadra 840AV is one of only about 5 Mac68k computers that cannot boot
>> with System 7.0.
>
>Will it boot 7.1?  That's usually quite fast....

Yes it will boot 7.1, & I know it's quite fast, that's why I use it for my
everyday OS (well, 7.1 with scriptable finder, so that makes it 7.1.3, I
believe). I have 7.5.5 on another partition, but I find it quite
unnecessary. There's nothing in the OS that I like that I can't have with
well-written extension/CDeV's. After all, if you follow ZiffNet/Mac, you'll
see that almost every cool thing rolled into Apple's OS within the past few
years has been because Apple bought out some shareware author's product
(stickies, windowshade, hierarchical menus, control strip, even this new
window tabs thing).

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.