Subject: Re: System 7.0.1 vs. NetBSD/mac68k
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/1997 19:36:48
>If you'd like to set up a minimal (and fast booting!) Mac environment to
>boot NetBSD, here's one possibility.  The requirements:
>
> - Your system must have 32-bit clean ROMs.  Some systems that do not
>   are the Macintosh II, IIx, and IIcx models; the `Enable' button for
>   32-bit addressing cannot be selected if this is the case.
> - Your system must be supported by System 7.0 (a fair indicator
>   that it will -not- run 7.0 is that your machine was shipped with
>   a later version installed).
> - Either (8) 800K floppies, or enough RAM to use a utility to mount
>   the disk images and run the Installer.
>
>System Software 7.0.1 is available for download from the Apple FTP sites.
>No special instructions are necessary beyond what is outlined in the
>INSTALL document.  You'll need approximately 10MB of disk to do the Easy
>Install; less if you do a Custom Install, but make sure you don't choose
>the `Minimum system' option.
>
>For reference, I tested with Booter 1.10, Mkfs 1.44, and Installer 1.1e.

Actually, Apple supplies disks that will boot any Mac ever made. Look
around on Apple for something called Network Access Disk (NAD). It is a
system 7.5 boot disk image that contains everything needed to connect to a
network (EtherNet or LocalTalk). You can use this the same way as the 7.0.1
you found.

The URL is:
<ftp://ftp3.info.apple.com//Apple_Support_Area/Apple_SW_Updates/US/
  Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.hqx>

Mike

PS my Quadra 840AV is one of only about 5 Mac68k computers that cannot boot
with System 7.0.

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.