Subject: Re: X11 on LC520
To: aeolian <aeolian@wclub.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/1997 11:36:20
> I am trying to use X11R6 on my LC520.
> I am using the July 10 snapshots and GENERICSBC-26 kernel and i boot up
> in multi-user mode
> after i boot up, and login as root,vt220 terminal, i get a "myname#"
> prompt, is it normal?

As Mamoru said, it is normal if you haven't changed any of the
configuration files in /etc.

> When i try to "startx" i get a "not found" message, afterward, i did some
> digging and found out that it's "startx.0"
> Anyways, after i type "startx.0", i get a message saying "permission
> denied"

As well you should. There's a convention in UN*X to the file name
suffix.  Digits are for man pages. .1 through .9 are for the raw format
man pages, with the suffix indicating which section gets that man page.
.0 is the formatted-for-tty version. So when you type startx.0, you are
trying to run the formatted man page. Which won't work.

> What should i do? Thanx in advance.

Mamoru's advice about adding directories to the path, and adding an
ldconfig, will fix things up. You can also get details on this from
the FAQ.

Take care,

Bill