Subject: Re: "cannot mount root" on Quadra 660AV
To: Nathaniel R. Fellows <nat@stonebreaker.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/1997 09:30:07
> I went back to the install utility to make sure /root was mounted from the
> mini shell. However, when I issued the command "mount /dev/sd1a /root", I
> got the response "/root: Device busy." I was able to mount /usr. I have
> NetBSD installed on it's own drive (at SCSI id 2, which is the 2nd drive on
> my chain). It is set up w/ 100MB for root, 100 MB for usr, and 40 MB for
> swap.

It's the second drive on your chain?

NetBSD does not (normally) have a 1-to-1 mapping of SCSI ID to sd
number, and the numbers start with 0. I think this is in the FAQ
somewhere.

sd0 is the first (lowest numbered) scsi disk in your system, typically
the internal.

sd1 is the next lowest numbered one. If you don't have a hard disk at
id 1, then the one at id 2 is your sd1.

It's a little confusing at first, but when you consider systems with
lots of possabilities for scsibus's, it makes sense. I'll admit it was
one of the things I grumbled about at first. :-)

Oh, when you build a kernel, you can wire down the drive numbers so
that sd0 == id0, sd1 == id 1, etc.

Take care,

Bill