Subject: Re: System 7.0.1 vs. NetBSD/mac68k
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/1997 23:34:25
Scott Reynolds wrote:

> If you'd like to set up a minimal (and fast booting!) Mac environment to
> boot NetBSD, here's one possibility.  The requirements:

[snip]

> System Software 7.0.1 is available for download from the Apple FTP sites.
> No special instructions are necessary beyond what is outlined in the
> INSTALL document.  You'll need approximately 10MB of disk to do the Easy
> Install; less if you do a Custom Install, but make sure you don't choose
> the `Minimum system' option.
>
> For reference, I tested with Booter 1.10, Mkfs 1.44, and Installer 1.1e.

This is basically the system I've been running since May.  I got tired of
System 7.5.5 taking 5 minutes or so to boot on my IIci (even with extensions
off it takes nearly that long), so I installed 7.0.1 on an external drive
and use that to boot NetBSD instead of my internal drive.

> Finally, if anybody has a reference for the old MODE32 -- not the system
> 7.5-specific version -- please let me know so I can make it available on
> the NetBSD FTP site.

I'll see what I can find.

> PS - Thanks to this, I now have a recovery disk that I can bring to any of
> my machines when I crash them hard due to the kernel work I've been doing.

Sounds vaguely familiar ;-)

Later.

I speak only for myself, not for my employer.