Subject: Re: now I can boot up - but read-only
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/1997 17:51:16
>>		     I attempted to do this by using the cpin/cpout commands
>> from the installers mini-shell. But when I got the fstab out, I couldn't
>> open it in anything, and when I created a text fstab the mini-shell would
>> not cpin it - it said it couldn't open it.
>
>Unix and Mac use different newline characters in text files... if you
>create a text file to cpin, make sure it uses the Unix style newlines.
>I think BBEdit Lite will do this, but I'm not sure (as I don't have
>it... everyone says it's great though :) However, cpin should've been
>able to open your file anyways... was your fstab file in the same
>folder as the Installer program?

Yes, BBEdit will actually open any file that exists on the Mac (even
Applications/binaries, although it will look like jibberish) & can be set
to not convert CR/LF's to leave it in a form usable by UN*X.

>I guess I should put a more generic kernel for AV macs on my page,
>instead of one customized for my machine... By the way, have you tried
>one of the kernels in ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/ ?
>Such as GENERIC-36? I haven't tried it, but I think it should work,
>except for internal video (i.e. X and dt).

I have always used GENERIC 17 on my Q840AV without incident. Why should I
ever need to try a newer kernal? I get no FS errors, everything I've
downloaded has worked out of the box, or with as little modification as
possible. As far as I know, there's no new features relevant to the AV's,
so if I were to run a newer kernal, what possible benefits could I get? The
way I see it, until either onboard EtherNet (MACE) works, or Michael Zucca
finishes the intvid stuff so that we can have color, I have no incentive to
try a new kernal other than to test it for those who compiled it.

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.