Subject: Re: now I can boot up - but read-only
To: Nathaniel R. Fellows <nat@stonebreaker.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/1997 03:33:35
On 28 Jul 1997, Nathaniel R. Fellows wrote:
> Hello. I was able to solve my last problem (couldn't mount root on a
> Q660AV) by installing David Huang's kernel - Thanks! But now I seem to have
> another problem. My filesystem is read-only. Does this have anything to do
> with the fact that in my /etc/fstab my root is listed as ufs, while
> everything in BSD refers to ffs?

No, but you should probably change it to ffs anyways, if you get a chance
:)

> have to run it manually, because /dev/rsd0a is not configured. I have yet
> to figure out what /dev/rsd0a is. When I get to the shell, I am still not
> able to run fsck_ffs. Would changing my root entry in /etc/fstab from ufs
> to ffs solve this?

Hmmm... I wonder if running my kernel is causing this problem. My
kernel is mostly generic, except that sd0 is always the drive with
SCSI ID 0. With a generic kernel, sd0 would be the drive with the
lowest numbered ID, regardless of what it actually was. If you have a
drive with SCSI ID 0, then everything should be fine. If not, the
Installer and the kernel will number your drives differently, and the
fstab that the Installer makes will be incorrect.

The NetBSD boot messages will print out where all your drives got
assigned. Should look something like:

sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL540S, 1Q09> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 520MB, 3835 cyl, 2 head, 138 sec, 512 bytes/sec x 1065235 sectors
sd1 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun 0: <IBM, DFHSS2F, 4141> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd1: 2150MB, 4390 cyl, 8 head, 125 sec, 512 bytes/sec x 4404489 sectors
sd2 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LIGHTNING 730S, 2417> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd2: 698MB, 3658 cyl, 4 head, 97 sec, 512 bytes/sec x 1431518 sectors

So, you need to make your fstab and kernel agree on where your NetBSD
partitions are.

>		     I attempted to do this by using the cpin/cpout commands
> from the installers mini-shell. But when I got the fstab out, I couldn't
> open it in anything, and when I created a text fstab the mini-shell would
> not cpin it - it said it couldn't open it.

Unix and Mac use different newline characters in text files... if you
create a text file to cpin, make sure it uses the Unix style newlines.
I think BBEdit Lite will do this, but I'm not sure (as I don't have
it... everyone says it's great though :) However, cpin should've been
able to open your file anyways... was your fstab file in the same
folder as the Installer program?

I guess I should put a more generic kernel for AV macs on my page,
instead of one customized for my machine... By the way, have you tried
one of the kernels in ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/ ?
Such as GENERIC-36? I haven't tried it, but I think it should work,
except for internal video (i.e. X and dt).