Subject: now I can boot up - but read-only
From: Nathaniel R. Fellows <nat@stonebreaker.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/1997 01:43:00
Hello. I was able to solve my last problem (couldn't mount root on a
Q660AV) by installing David Huang's kernel - Thanks! But now I seem to have
another problem. My filesystem is read-only. Does this have anything to do
with the fact that in my /etc/fstab my root is listed as ufs, while
everything in BSD refers to ffs? The man pages say that references to ufs
are for backwards compatability. During the boot process, as it is running
the script (rc?) it attempts to run fsck_ffs, but gets errors. It says I
have to run it manually, because /dev/rsd0a is not configured. I have yet
to figure out what /dev/rsd0a is. When I get to the shell, I am still not
able to run fsck_ffs. Would changing my root entry in /etc/fstab from ufs
to ffs solve this? I attempted to do this by using the cpin/cpout commands
from the installers mini-shell. But when I got the fstab out, I couldn't
open it in anything, and when I created a text fstab the mini-shell would
not cpin it - it said it couldn't open it.

Well, I'm learning a lot, but I'm not out of the woods yet. I really
appreciate the help.Thanks,

Nat Fellows