Subject: IIvx booting problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/1997 11:38:28
	Many of you with Mac IIvx machines will be aware of a problem
when trying to boot using Booter programs newer than 1.9.4. After some
more testing, I have discovered that:

* Some kernels (I was using GENERIC-12) will not boot with 1.9.4 or earlier,
  but would boot with one of the two Booter 1.9.5s.

* With a kernel which does work with 1.9.4 (Benoit MARTEL kindly provided
  GENERICSBC-16 for me to use), the kernel will not fully boot using
  Booter 1.9.5 or later. It hangs after bootstrapping the memory mapping
  and printing the copyright message.

* I discovered that one Booter "environment variable" was different;
  TIMEDBRA = 5217 (0x1461)	with Booter 1.9.4,
  TIMEDBRA = 5221 (ox1465)	with Booter 1.9.5.

	Looking through the code, this value is set differently by the
two compilers. MetroWerks calls a function LMGetTimeDBRA(), while Symantec
dereferences a Low Memory address constant. I am searching through some of
the MacOs developer sites now, looking for an explaination of the
LMGetTimeDBRA() routine.

	I am at a loss to explain why this would _only_ affect booting on
the IIvx models, but assuming that this is the problem, we may have a new
Booter ready this weekend for testing.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"People say I'm strange, does it  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | make me a stranger?              |