Subject: Re: Dayna ethernet card, hostname.ae0
To: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/27/1997 21:48:01
On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Hans-Christian Becker wrote:

> Hi all. Since no-one cared to answer my question regarding the built-in
> ethernet on my 840 AV (sniff!) I boldly snatched a Dayna ethernet card. To
> my great disappointment, this is what NetBSD told me (see below). Is this
> just tough luck, or can it be remedied? On a related question, I remember
> seeing that the 'hostname.ae0' type configuration has been replaced. Could
> anyone give me a few hints as to set up the networking correctly? (Yes, I
> did look at the networking-HOWTO on macbsd.com!)
> Regards,
> /hcb
>
> (dmsg output)

Internal Ethernet on the AV (840 and 660) class machines does not currently
work, I would like to get some time to work on it, but just don't have the
time.  I slapped my nubus ethernet card from my IIci MacBSD machine into
my 660av and I was not able to complete a boot sequence.  I believed
at the time that it was an interrupt problem, however I have very little
recolection of why as it was a long time ago. (You may recall that the
660av does NOT have a nubus slot, instead it has a variant of the PDS
slot with a digital audio video connector, however, Apple did produce
a special card that fit into the PDS/DAV slot and produced a nubus slot
this is where my nubus ehter net card is).  I do seem to recall that the
nubus ether card did function under MacOS.  My problems is that at this
point are many fold and since this is going to the list I will present
them here in hopes of some responses.

1. where as I used to be able to reliably build the entire current
   source tree, my make continues to fall over in many places. I
   am well aware of what -current is, however I have a hard time
   believing that current has been this broken for several weeks,
   rather I believe that I am doing something wrong. (please don't
   refer me to the current users mailing list I am already on it)

2. Dave Huang was nice enough to put up his 660av kernel but it
   randomly hangs at some of the single user prompts.

3. I am trying to install netbsd on a spare seagate I happen to have
   lying around here for my 660.  I have been able to install onto a
   100 meg quantum butmkfs will unexpectidly exits when trying to install
   onto the 248 meg seagate, I can even use it for swap, netbsd wont
   recognize it.  It works fine under macos.  Will mkfs and netbsd
   work with a 1024 byte block disk drive?  The drive can only be
   set to 1k block sizes not 512 (La Cie utilities freaks on this drive,
   I had to use another formatter.)

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu