Subject: Re: Arena
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/26/1997 12:10:16
Hi,

Here is my list of web browsers that I know about:

Lynx -- Text-based only, but great for going through HTML-based docs (like
the MacBSD FAQ).  Pre-compiled versions available at:

  ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/contrib/unix/lynx.tar.gz

Chimera -- Out-dated graphical Web browser. Very slow and cannot handle any
"modern" HTML like tables or frames. However, it will try to display images on
a monochrome display.  Pre-compiled version available at:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib/X11/chimera-1.65-bin11.tar.gz

Mosaic -- Graphical web browser andnow mostly out-dated. Takes a long time to
start up.  Cannot do tables or frames.  Will NOT try to display images on a
monochrome display.  I used version 2.7b3 for a long time without any problems.

The pre-compiled version that does NOT require Motif is:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib/X11/Mosaic-2.7b3-bin11.tar.gz

There is a slightly more recent version, 2.7b5, but it was compiled with
Lesstif, a free Motif "compatible" library.  You will need to get Lesstif
as well to use this one.  I tried it but it crashed constantly.  It is at:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib/X11/Mosaic-2.7b5-bin12.gz

Arena -- Graphical web browser.  Supposedly handles modern HTML. I tried it
briefly but it crashed every 5 minutes so I could never really use it.  You
can get a pre-compiled copy at:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib/X11/arena-2a-bin11.tar.gz

Netscape -- There is no Netscape available for MacBSD and probably never
will be.  The market is just too small.

So what do I use?  I use Lynx for quick and dirty docs reading.  I used to use
Mosaic for quite a long time.  Luckily, I have access to a BSDI box that
serves as a backup server.  I installed Netscape 3.01 for BSDI on that box and
then send it to my C650 running NetBSD across the LAN.  As the BSDI box is a
486, NS 3.01 is about the best I can hope for.  I tried using 4.0, but it
was painfully slow.  I guess you need a P6.  Then again, NS 4.0 crawls on my
PPC 6100/60 too.

Mark

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

> At 1:19 PM -0500 7/25/97, @-- ReeD ->- wrote:
> >As far as I know, Mosaic 2.7 for amiga will run without motif... I
> >believe that Mosaic _does_ require color mode though, which is why I
> >never succesfully had it running on my IIsi.. Of course, now my monitor
> >died, so, I'm in the dark so to speak (haha :P) :)
> >
> I used to use the amiga binaries, and they worked fine. You only need motif
> to compile from sources.
> Mosaic kind of sucks compared with modern browsers, though. It would be
> great if there were a relatively recent netscape binary.

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/