Subject: Re: Upgraded RAM, how do I upgrade swap?
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/24/1997 13:58:01
On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	The only reason you might want more swap is if you intend to have
> 	significantly more applications running at any one time

It's always a good idea to have at least as much swap as real RAM, so that
you can get a crash dump.  NetBSD-current as of mid-June supports adding
arbitrary swap partitions, if you're running that, but NetBSD 1.2.x won't.

> On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Andy Sinesio wrote:
>
> > I want to make the UNIX_SVR2 a swap partition, because now I have more
> > real RAM than swap (36 megs vs 30).  I tried deleting the UNIX_SVR2
> > partition and making it a Swap slice 1, but Silverlining wouldn't let me
> > do it without initializing the disk (something I do NOT want to do).

_If_ the partitions are contiguous, you should be able to delete the
UNIX_SVR2 partition and expand the size of the Swap slice 1 partition.  I
think I've even done this under the Apple SC HD tool (patched, of course,
so that it works with my non-Apple disk)..

--scott