Subject: Re: How-to IP NAT (masquerading)
To: Francis Peter <francisp@innet.be>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/24/1997 00:13:15
On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Francis Peter wrote:

> Thank you Scott, it is working now. Some applications like Anarchie
> aren't working. If I trey to connect to a server on the internet, I get
> an error like this one:
> [...]
> 425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.

This is because Anarchie is doing a conventional FTP, which is to say that
it tells the server what port to connect to your machine on.  Since it's
not directly connected to the network your machine is on, it's failing to
set up the connection.

What you need to do is to tell Anarchie to use passive mode (PASV) for FTP
transfers.  (I am not sure if you can or how to do it, as I use Fetch for
FTP, and Netscape Navigator uses this by default, as far as I can tell.)

> What are your experiences with ipnat in the sense of what is working and
> what isn't working?

Anything that requires you to have a connection from an outside site back
to your internal machine will probably not work properly.  Some
protocols may be able to be redirected, however; check out the `rdr'
description in the inpat(5) man page.

> The purpose of my second ethernet card is to set-up a connection to a
> cable modem. For this I need some information on how to set-up the NetBSD
> system to connect to the DHCP server of the ISP.

Sorry, I can't help you there. :-(

--scott