Subject: Re: mkfs 1.43 doesn't see all of my partitions
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1997 22:33:24
On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Bob Nestor wrote:
> There is a bug in some disk formatters that records the size of the
> Partition Map to be one block less than the number of blocks actually
> used. Apple HD Setup 7.3 does this as do some 3rd party formatters. Some

HD SC Setup 7.3.x or only 7.3? I used 7.3.5, and still had the problem. Is
the size of the partition map pmMapBlkCnt? It's 6 on my drive, and I've
got 6 partitions: partition map, driver, root, swap, usr, and HFS.
pmPartBlkCnt is $6f, which looks right to me... the driver partition
starts at block $70.

> exists on the SCSI chain.  This prevents the usual fix of starting from
> an emergency boot floppy which makes it difficult to recover from.

Ick, that's really nasty... I would have expected it to try to boot from
floppy before trying the HD...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++