Subject: mkfs 1.43 doesn't see all of my partitions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1997 18:19:06
My replacement IBM drive came today (only two days after I called them; I
am _quite_ impressed with IBM :), so I set about reinstalling netbsd...  I
used Alliance Power Tools to partition the thing, 20 meg A/UX root, 72 meg
A/UX swap, 1024 meg A/UX usr, and 1070 meg HFS. When I started up mkfs
1.43, it only showed me the root, swap, and HFS partitions. I deleted the
HFS partition and reran mkfs, and it showed me root, swap, and a free
partition. Still no usr. Recreating the HFS partition, then deleting the
usr one made mkfs show root, swap, and HFS once again. I also tried
deleting both the usr and HFS partitions, then making a 2 gig usr
partition; mkfs finally showed root, swap, and usr. Unfortunately, I want
an HFS partition :)

So, what's with this? :) I ended up going to that web site mentioned in
the FAQ to find the Apple HD SC Setup patch. Partitioned the drive with
it, and mkfs showed root, swap, and usr. No HFS though, but I didn't care
:)

Looking at the detailed partition info in HD SC Setup, my partitions are
as follows:

Number   Type                  Name                  Title
0        Apple_partition_map   Apple                 Partition Map
1        Apple_Driver43        Macintosh             Mac Driver
2        Apple_UNIX_SVR2       Root file system      A/UX Root slice 0
3        Apple_UNIX_SVR2       Swap                  A/UX Swap slice 1
4        Apple_UNIX_SVR2       Usr file system       A/UX Usr slice 2
5        Apple_HFS             MacOS                 Big Blue
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++