Subject: Re: X Question
To: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@xeo.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1997 18:18:15
At 2:48 AM -0700 7/23/97, Josh Hope wrote:
>I've seen this question here on this list many times, unfortunately I
>never payed much attention to the answer since I never thought I'd want to
>run X...since I saw it mentioned so often, I checked for it in the
>FAQ...but it wasn't there...
>
>I got the X that's described in the FAQ. Decompressed xbase12 and the
>xserver. When I run startx, it sits there for a while (about 10 mins,
>a little X cursor and nothing more happens and I am forced to restart the

what exactly is "startx" supposed to do? i had problems running that
script, too.  running "xinit" runs stuff in ~/.xinitrc ("man xinit" shows
some useful examples), and it opens the X server and an xterm by default if
you don't have a ~/.xinitrc
before knowing about xinit, and having no luck with startx, i just typed
X &; sleep 10; xterm -display :0.0 &
to get things running. it wasn't very grand, and quitting x was annoying
(kill -9 <pid>), but it worked. i recommend using xinit instead.

>machine (which really ruined my new 5 day uptime record)...oh, I can move
>the cursor around...but that's about it.

awh, that's nothing, i had a 65 day uptime before my power went out :-)

>Anyways, I am pretty sure I must create a .something file in my home
>dir...but I'm not sure what this file should be called, nor do I know what
>belongs in it...

see above. man xinit has some great examples.

>Any help, would be much appreciated :) Thanks for putting up with my
>ignorance...
>
>Josh

  - a