Subject: Re: X Question
To: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1997 22:08:35
Hi,

You are probably missing at least a ".xinitrc" file in your home
directory.  You may want other files there as well.

I know if it a pain to read on screen, but you really should do a

  man X

It is long, but it has everything you need to get started, including a
sample .xinitrc file.

Mark

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Josh Hope wrote:

> I've seen this question here on this list many times, unfortunately I
> never payed much attention to the answer since I never thought I'd want to
> run X...since I saw it mentioned so often, I checked for it in the
> FAQ...but it wasn't there...
>
> I got the X that's described in the FAQ. Decompressed xbase12 and the
> xserver. When I run startx, it sits there for a while (about 10 mins,
> a little X cursor and nothing more happens and I am forced to restart the
> machine (which really ruined my new 5 day uptime record)...oh, I can move
> the cursor around...but that's about it.
>
> Anyways, I am pretty sure I must create a .something file in my home
> dir...but I'm not sure what this file should be called, nor do I know what
> belongs in it...
>
> Any help, would be much appreciated :) Thanks for putting up with my
> ignorance...

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/