Subject: Re: ae0 vice sn0
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/22/1997 11:07:01
Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> I'm looking at updating the networking setup howto.  We now use
> ifconfig.ae0 instead of hostname.ae0, but we also have acquired a new class
> of ethernet interfaces based on the SONIC chip and using the sn driver.
>
> Is there any hint in the display for MacTCP (or OT) which would clue
> someone that they will use the sn driver or the ae driver?  Or do we just
> have to write a note that tells them to look at the boot messages or model
> number?

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there is any way to tell on this one
(unless you wanted to find Apple's lot numbers for internal ethernet and
have them check the ethernet address of their interface for a match ;-)

Basically, the ae interface can only be used on cards, but the sn
interface can be either a card or onboard ethernet.  The user is simply
going to have to check the boot messages, or take a look at the controller
chip itself :-(   Oh well....

Later.

Colin

P.S.  If anyone has any info contrary to the above, please let me know, it
would help a lot with all those "what kind of card do I have?" questions
;-)