Subject: Re: Kernel Source: Which & Where
To: Alex Thome <fthome@amug.org>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@xeo.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1997 19:30:08
At 1:43 PM -0700 7/21/97, Alex Thome wrote:
>Is there any place where I can get the .sit files for mk68K bsd? Netscape
>isn't to fond of huge text files.
>
>Alex

I assume you are trying to download the basic NetBSD distribution.
I recommend downloading the files with anarchie or fetch, both of which are
found at ftp://mirror.apple.com/mirrors/info-mac/comm/tcp .  Netscape isn't
a grand ftp client, which means it'll screw up at times. If netscape is
complaining about any *.gz files, be sure you have the right helper
applications set. As for downloading the *121 files, Netscape would
probably want to download to a browser window, not a file, which is not
what you want. Use anarchie or fetch - you might get more reliable
transfers anyway.
NOTE: those *121 files aren't text files, they are binary. Be sure to
download in binary (try *not* to download in macbinary, if you can help
it). Downloading them in text mode will get you useless files, and you'll
have to download them again in binary mode.
After downloading, be sure not to throw away the *121 files. You can throw
away decompressed folders/files, if they expand. The installer utility
installs using the *121 files.
good luck,
  - a