Subject: Re: X, xterm or startx
To: John Albers-Mead <JAM@jaminc.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1997 17:25:16
On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, John Albers-Mead wrote:
> I have been trying for a little bit to get X up and running.  "startx" and
> "xterm" don't want to work but if I type "X" it launches into X windows but
> then I can't do anything (no windows- only the patterned background with my
> mouse cusor looking like an X).  I cannot get out of this and I can't get
> any response from the machine.  Any ideas?

Exactly how do "startx" and "xterm" not work? What are the error messags?
Have you checked the FAQ yet? In particular, questions 9.4 and 9.5:
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq-9.html

When you type X and get the background and mouse cursor, can you move the
mouse pointer around?

BTW, does anyone know if the X server has an "emergency exit" to kill the
server, like XFree86's ctrl-alt-backspace?
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++