Subject: Re: floppy disk on si
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1997 22:21:34
At 18:27 Uhr +0200 18.07.1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:
>> now, i need to share data with the outside world, and this box is not on
>> an network. therefore, i would like to use the floppy drive, and/or the
>> external scsi cdrom drive on my system.
>
>First, the bad news:
>There is no floppy driver currently. Hauke Fath is working on one and he has
>an experimental driver. I don't remember how much it did, though and you'd

So, maybe I should speak up here...

The code I have lying around here seems to read an 800K GCR floppy just
fine. Writing to it tends to crash the machine fairly quickly with what I
suspect are stray memory references. As long as the floppy is accessed, the
machine is essentially asleep; I'd like to poll at least the serial ports
(hi, Bill ;) but am not quite there, yet.

Unfortunately, I am quite busy at work, and my SO has made it quite clear
she comes before the IWM stuff... Moreover, the driver has reached some
degree of complexity (especially the assembler portion) and it takes me
literally hours to dive into it again when I haven't touched it for weeks.

Actually I'd be quite happy if some knowledgeable eyes other than mine
found the time to gloss over the code. But the few people who actively hack
on the macbsd port are already busy... The LKM code on puma is not current.
If anyone with some m68k assembler knowledge is interested, contact me.

In short: The driver is essentially here, hut don't hold your breath for a
release version.

	hauke