Subject: Re: 2 ethernet interfaces?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1997 12:04:49
At 5:32 PM 7/20/97, Colin Wood wrote:
>xiamin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Colin Wood wrote:
>> > file.  All you need to do is create the sn0 interface file and give it an
>> > IP address in some way.  So, you'll wind up with:
>> Hmmmm, I have neither of those, on the howto page, I can find the way to
>> do hostname.ae0, but as far as I can see, you just do
>> inet name netmask
>> But you don't set the ip address...
>
>True, although I think you can.  I believe that it uses something like the
>resolver to map the IP address to the name you give on the line above.

I don't know if ifconfig uses the resolver code or not, but you can't use
DNS to resolve a name before you have your network interfaces configured.
The name has to be in /etc/hosts.

You can put the actual IP number in /etc/hostname.ae0 (or
/etc/ifconfig.ae0), but it has to be consistent with what's in /etc/hosts,
which has to be consistent with what's in DNS. . .