Subject: Re: 2 ethernet interfaces?
To: xiamin <root@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/20/1997 17:06:04
xiamin wrote:

> At the moment on my Q650, I have the internal ethernet, and an Asante
> MacCon-i NB card. Can I have two ethernet interfaces? If so, how do I get
> the other one up and running?

1) Yes.
2) The same way you got the first one up and running ;-)

Depending on what version of the /etc/netstart scripts you're running, you
probably have either a:

hostname.ae0  (the old way)

file or an:

ifconfig.ae0  (the new way)

file.  All you need to do is create the sn0 interface file and give it an
IP address in some way.  So, you'll wind up with:

hostname.ae0
hostnaem.sn0

or

ifconfig.ae0
ifconfig.sn0

when you're done.

Of course, if you currently have a *.sn0 file, you need to create the
corresponding *.ae0 file instead.

If you decided that a third ethernet card was necessary (whatever for,
I'll never know ;-), then you'd create another *.sn? or *.ae? file,
depending on the NIC on the card.  For example, if the new card had a
DP8390-based NIC on it, then you'd have either

hostname.ae1 or
ifconfig.ae1

Likewise, if the card you got was SONIC-based, then you'd have either

hostname.sn1 or
ifconfig.sn1

If you have enough savvy to get one network interface up, I'll assume that
you can figure out what needs to go in the other interface file.  If not,
please take a look at Henry Hotz's excellent HOWTO on the matter:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/

Keep in mind that the default route might be affected by having 2 ethernet
cards, but I'm not sure how without digging through a few man pages.

Once the interface file exists, /etc/netstart will automatically use the
information in it to configure the interface.

I hope this helps.

Later.

Colin