Subject: Re: Compiling the system
To: Daniel R. Killoran Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/20/1997 16:47:37
Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

> OK, I have the 1.2.1 sources & am trying to compile the system. Colin
> Wood's HOWTO says that config uses the following files:
>
>               sys/arch/mac68k/conf/SYSTEM			MISSING
                                     ^^^^^^

This is meant to be a place holder for a configuration file name.  The
templates that you can use are listed below (GENERIC, SPOT, OCELOT, etc.)
It is generally recommended that you copy one of the templates to some
other file name (it is convention for config file names to have all caps),
and then edit the config file to your liking.  If you are satified with
the GENERIC config, feel free to keep it.

>              sys/arch/mac68k/conf/std.mac68k
>              sys/arch/mac68k/conf/files.mac68k
>              sys/arch/mac68k/conf/Makefile.mac68k
>              sys/arch/m68k/conf/files.m68k			m68k missing

Do you mean that the m68k directory is missing?  If so, this directory is
quite necessary for a mac68k kernel compile, and you should obtain a copy
before doing anything else.  Looking at the ftp site, I believe that the
directory (and it's contents) should come as a part of the ksrc
distribution.  Looking in -current sources, I know that files.m68k is
there, so I'm pretty sure that it's in 1.2.1 as well (that's a file that
would have to have been there in 1.2.1).  Did you extract just the mac68k
sources or the whole thing?

>              sys/conf/files
>
> of which the 2 indicated are missing. sys/arch/mac68k/conf contains:
>
> GENERIC         OCELOT          RAMDISK         files.mac68k
> Makefile.mac68k PUMA            SPOT            std.mac68k

The above is correct....

> I tried to "soldier on" by just trying the joe earwig example:
>
> ~/sys/arch/mac68k/conf % config SYSTEM

I can only assume that you typed the entire line as it appears above at
the prompt...I suppose that my directions were not quite explicit
enough...hmmm.

> from the /usr/src directory and got:
>
> /root/sys/arch/mac68k/conf: Command not found.

Yep, that's what it looks like you did.  The

~/sys/arch/mac68k/conf %

part was supposed to represent the current prompt.  The second part
assumes that you have created a config file named SYSTEM:

cd /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf
cp GENERIC SYSTEM
vi SYSTEM 			[do some editing here]
config SYSTEM

Doing something like that should work.

> I went  looking for the "conf" command & couldn't find it. I know it is
> just some stupid thing that "everybody knows" but I don't! Do you?

There is no "conf" command, only config.  I guess I'll have to update the
config document ;-)

After executing the above commands, try a:

cd ../compile/SYSTEM
make depend && make

That should create a nice new kernel for you.

If you have any other questions or problems, please let me know.

Later.

Colin