Subject: Re: Does X server work on current?
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/1997 19:47:26
SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

> I used X11 on my IIci with 13" Monitor on internal video and
> Portrait Display on Nubus video.
>
> From sometime of 1.2F(sorry, I don't remember exactly), when
> I started X server, kernel crashed with following message:
>
> -----
> Screen 0 at 0x41b8040, 640 by 870, rowB 80, fbbase 0x83ae040.
> vm_fault(11f000, 77777000, 1, 0) -> 1
>   type 8, code = 401074d, v = 7777777f
> kernel:MMU fault trap
> pid = 177, pc = 0009a486, ps = 2009, sfc = 0001, dfc = 0001
> Registers:
> (Register dump)
> -----

So the above was a result of using the 13" monitor???  What color mode are
you booting in?  What does a 'trace' in the debugger say at this point?

> So I used X11 on internal video only, but these two or three
> weeks, X server won't work. GENERIC{,SBC}-(27-33) kernels
> didn't work, my own kernel din't ether.
>
> -----
> Screen 0 at 0x41b8000, 640 by 480, rowB 80, fbbase 0xbf5000.
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> -----

Hmmm...actually, I seem to remember someone else mentioning this as well.

> My system:
>
> Mac IIci with 20MB ram, PowerCache 50MHz/fpu, Portrait Video
> card, two ethernet cards, tablette, 3-button mouse.
>
> Xserver: Xmac68k

How disturbing...I have a very similar system, but I'm not running recent
-current anymore (I'll have to upgrade, soon, tho).  Which X server is
this one?  The color one off of puma, or the latest one off of
ftp.netbsd.org?  Could your X server have been corrupted somehow?

> Other than X server are working well now. With X terminal, X
> clients work in my machine.
>
> Sorry to late report, any hints are appreciated.

A little bit more information might help someone in the know help a bit
more than I can ;-)

Later.

Colin