Subject: Re: floppy disk on si
To: Donald Elliott <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andy Sinesio <andy@imaginet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/1997 11:52:37
>now, i need to share data with the outside world, and this box is not on
>an network. therefore, i would like to use the floppy drive, and/or the
>external scsi cdrom drive on my system.
>
>i installed all the devices at install, but there does not appear to be
>either of these drivers on the system, so i can't mount the floppy.
>
>any pointers out there???  all help appreciated in advance....
>
>Donald.Elliott@MKE.earthreach.Com
>End of remote signature.

Ok.  There aren't any devices for a floppy, as floppy support has not
been implemented yet.  Somebody had an experimental driver, but I hear
you have to re-compile the kernel to get it to work (and i don't know how
stable that is).

The MacBSD FAQ tells you how to mount your cd rom.  Here's how I did it.

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV cd0
mkdir /cdrom
mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0c /cdrom

You'll need a ISO 9660 format cd rom for this to work (audio cd's, mac
games will not work).

If you really want to share data with the outside world, you should
probably get hfsutils so you can copy files between the mac side and the
unix side easily.  The Installer that comes with the netbsd/mac68k
distribution has a "cpin" and a "cpout" in it's mini shell so you can
copy files between the mac and unix partitions.  It is very cumbersome to
use though.

I believe hfsutils can be found at
ftp://puma.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/contrib/unix/

So, you'll basically have to use the mini shell in the installer to copy
the file you download to the unix side, then extract it and install it
from the unix side.

Andy