Subject: Re: defrag?
To: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/1997 01:44:47
On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Josh Hope wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a program alike to defrag for NetBSD :)
>
> My root drive is about 5% fragmented, and it's getting worse...
>
> Maybe this is in fsck? I checked the man, but I didn't see anything
> mentioning defrag...

I don't know of any programs that defrag FFS partitions... if there are
any, I'm sure they cost a lot of money though :) Anyways, supposedly, if
you have enough free space (5-10%), things aren't supposed to get too
fragmented. The /usr partition on one of my machines was about 5%
fragmented, and it had been in moderate use for about two years. (I
recently got a new drive and moved everything over to it, so now
everything's less than 1% fragmented).

What sorts of things are you doing anyways? :) You're not supposed to
change your root partition much... The root partitions of all of my
machines seem to have around 0.6% fragmentation.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++