Subject: Re: /dev/lkm: Device not configured
To: None <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1997 19:13:16
Dan McMahill wrote:

[Dan, please wrap your messages at < 80 characters...I had to search for
the problem text, it was offscreen ;-) ]

> Seeing the posts I decided to go ahead and try out the color X lkm on my
> machine (IIci, 1.2.1 GENERIC 0).   On boot, I see
                       ^^^^^^^^^
There's your problem.  The NetBSD 1.2/1.2.1 GENERIC kernels (and possibly
-current GENERIC, no just checked, it appears to have been in there since
January) do _not_ have LKM support compiled into the kernel.  Basically,
you need to compile your own kernel and add a line like:

options 	LKM		# LKM support

to your config file, then do a:

config CONFIG_FILE_NAME
cd ../conf/CONFIG_FILE_NAME
make depend && make

I believe that you can still get 1.2.1 source, since you will want to use
this source if your binaries are 1.2.1.

> macvid0 at nubus0: SuperMac Spectrum/8 Series III v1.2
> macvid0: 1024x768, monochrome
> grf0 at macvid0
>
> When rc.local gets to the "modload" line (taken straight from the FAQ),
> I get a message
> modload: /dev/lkm: Device not configured
>

> I used to get
> can't find /dev/lkm
>
> so I did
>
> cd /dev
> MAKEDEV lkm
>
> and then rebooted.

Always a good idea to make sure that the device actually exists, but I
don't think that you really need to reboot here ;-)

> Am I missing something silly?  I do realize that there's a good chance
> my card won't work anyway, but I can't even get to that point.

Not really.  If you don't want to go to the trouble of rolling your own
kernels, you could try "upgrading" to -current and seeing if that helps
some.

Later.

Colin