Subject: Re: NetBSD-current booting probs
To: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1997 16:25:30
Josh Hope wrote:

[install story snipped]

> Anyways, I then restarted. Upon booting up, a curious thing happened:
>
> Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks
> Usage: fsck [-dfnpy] [-b block] [-c level] [-m mode] filesystem ...
>
> Then the system went into single user. I exitted out, and the boot

Hmmm...generally, if fsck is causing multi-user boot to fail, you should
go ahead and run it manually:

fsck -y

> continued...and errored when it tried loading syslogd:
>
> Starting rpc daemons: portmap syslogd: /var/log/authlog: no such file or
> directory syslogd: /var/log/xferlog: no such file or directory

This one is rather easy to fix:

cd /var/log
touch authlog xferlog

I think that empty copies of these files are simply not installed by the
base install...perhaps they should be???

> Then it continued booting up, and nothing "major" happened. It's working,
> but these errors are kinda getting to me...
>
> I tried running fsck from a normal prompt, getting the same error message
> as posted above...

It sounds like you may have the "broken" fsck.  Try:

fsck -y /

And maybe it'll work better.

> I'd really like to get this stuff cleaned up :) Any help or info or tips
> would be really ppreciated...

I hope this helps some.

Later.

Colin