Subject: RE: PPP & general networking question
To: John Albers Mead <jam@matchlogic.com>
From: Christophe Pedretti <cpedretti@ptc.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1997 16:22:11
On 16-Jul-97 John Albers Mead wrote:
>Hi-
>
>I'm semi-new to setting up a NetBSD system and am not very well versed as
>to what files need to be modifed in order to get networking going.  I am
>trying to get PPP working but am running into some problems.
>
>I got the ppp scripts installed and they dail out and connect but then I
>still cannot get a network connection.  I'm not exactly sure how to check
>if the connection is established  so when the modem stops talking and I get
>a prompt again, I try to run ftp or telnet and get name server errors.  The
>modem never disconnects me so I'm pretty sure the the machine at the other
>end liked what mine said.  I'm using the same name server addresses that I
>use when dialing in from the Mac so I don't think it's the resolv.conf.down.
>
>Question one is:
>
>Which files would I modify in /etc to get set up for networking?  Also,
>when I'm putting in my machine's name, do I include domain name and if so,
>do I make it the domain name of my ISP?

To be sure that you are connected, try a ping on an internet ip address,
like ping 207.200.73.73

If the ping is ok, then you are effectively connected to the internet
and the problem comes from the dns.

To test the dns ? try a nslookup www.netscape.com

How to setup the dns ?
In the /etc/resolv.conf put:
Line 1:  domain name of your provider, ex: provider.com
Line 2: 'nameserver ip_adress_first_dns_server'
Line 3: 'nameserver ip_adress_second_dns_server'
etc...

---
                       ^(0--0)^
| Christophe PEDRETTI        Email: cpedretti@ptc.com |
| Phone: +39 39.65.65.663    Fax: ++39 39.65.65.670   |
|                   .oooO    Oooo.                    |