Subject: PPP & general networking question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Albers Mead <jam@matchlogic.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1997 08:08:19
Hi-

I'm semi-new to setting up a NetBSD system and am not very well versed as
to what files need to be modifed in order to get networking going.  I am
trying to get PPP working but am running into some problems.

I got the ppp scripts installed and they dail out and connect but then I
still cannot get a network connection.  I'm not exactly sure how to check
if the connection is established  so when the modem stops talking and I get
a prompt again, I try to run ftp or telnet and get name server errors.  The
modem never disconnects me so I'm pretty sure the the machine at the other
end liked what mine said.  I'm using the same name server addresses that I
use when dialing in from the Mac so I don't think it's the resolv.conf.down.

Question one is:

Which files would I modify in /etc to get set up for networking?  Also,
when I'm putting in my machine's name, do I include domain name and if so,
do I make it the domain name of my ISP?

Question two is:

When I can't get a network connection, I type "ppp-down" and it responds
"killing ppp..." and returns me to a prompt.  After a few seconds, the
modem hangs up and everything seems fine until something decides that it
like talking on the modem and it dials out again without me having typed
anything.  I did a "ps" and can't see anything that indicates ppp has been
launched again.  Why is it doing this and how can I make it stay dead when
I kill it?

Any help would be appreciated....

 JAM

   			                    John Albers-Mead