Subject: Re: NetBSD-current booting probs
To: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1997 03:42:21
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Josh Hope wrote:

> I downloaded base and text and etc packages from the current sources of
> NetBSD...I did have all NetBSD 1.2.1 stuff.
>
> I installed the etc files by hand, one by one, making sure all my prefs
> were transferred. I did it very carefully :)

This is part of your problem...
	the etc package also handles a few things outside of /etc
	I would suggest installing the etc package into /altroot and
	moving everything in /altroot/var to /var

> Then I went ahead and installed the base package, but not by hand.
>
> I also installed text, but this was the first time I had installed the
> package. Previously, text had not been installed on my machine...I just
> got sick of those errors saying "could not find nroff"...
>
> Anyways, I then restarted. Upon booting up, a curious thing happened:
>
> Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks
> Usage: fsck [-dfnpy] [-b block] [-c level] [-m mode] filesystem ...
	There is just something funny about this version of fsck, IIRC you
should be able to make this work by typing "fsck -p /" you can also check
/etc/rc and change it where appropriate.

> Then the system went into single user. I exitted out, and the boot
> continued...and errored when it tried loading syslogd:
>
> Starting rpc daemons: portmap syslogd: /var/log/authlog: no such file or
> directory syslogd: /var/log/xferlog: no such file or directory
>
> Then it continued booting up, and nothing "major" happened. It's working,
> but these errors are kinda getting to me...

	See the above stuff about misc. files installed in /var from the
etc package.

> I tried running fsck from a normal prompt, getting the same error message
> as posted above...

	Again, the same errors from this messed up version of fsck ;)

> I'd really like to get this stuff cleaned up :) Any help or info or tips
> would be really ppreciated...
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain the scientific nature         |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   of the whammy." -Scully                     ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account,                         ||
||  the ingenuity of fools" -Unknown 			               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||