Subject: Re: uucp stuff...?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1997 09:04:59
Hi,

It's been about two and a half years since I set up a uucp system (and it
was under SunOS) but we had a similar problem at the beginning.  I don't
remember exactly what we did, but I do know that it involved a change in
the sendmail.cf.  I also remember that the answer to this problem was in
the _Managing UUCP and Usenet_ book put out by O'Reilly (the bear book).
I believe the second edition recently came out.  I remember having all
sorts of problems until we got the bear book and after we worked through
it, our uucp connection worked flawlessly.

Mark

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > Sorry about the confusion. <sheepish grin>
>
> 's'all'right.
>
> > > I think you want to fight with sendmail's configuration, not uucp per
> > > say. Though how, as usual, is the question with sendmail.
> >
> > Hm. sendmail doesn't come into play at all with outbound uucp stuff, does
> > it? What I'm concerned with is rejection by sendmails at *other* sites.
> > Maybe this is different enough from uupc on my Mac that sendmail does play
> > a role...
>
> Uhm, I thought sendmail came into play in getting mail from your mailing
> program (pine, elm, whatever) to the uucp mailing system. When I looked at
> the yellow book on sysadmining (I think the current edition is red), its
> sendmail rules dealt with uucp'd hosts. So some of the re-writing will be
> going on in it. I _think_ it's the only one which should be mucking with
> the From: line, or that it can muck the from line into something which
> other sendmails (or qmails or whatever) won't change.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!