Subject: Re: X problems - redirecting stderr
To: None <khym@bga.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 18:15:29
On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 17:37:12 -0500 (CDT),
Dave Huang <khym@bga.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:
> > anyway, I get a "Couldn't open /dev/grf2."
> > /dev/MAKEDEV /dev/grf2 resulted in "/dev/grf2: unknown device". Would this
> > mean it's time for a kernel upgrade?
>
> Try "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV grf2" and see if that helps. The X server I'm
> running only wants grf0 and grf1 around, but I vaguely remember an older X
> server wanting grf2 and perhaps grf3 also?

Yeah, the idea is that the X server tries to open /dev/grfN device for
each of N = 0, 1, 2, ... until it gets "device not configured" error
(forgot the error code).  So, if you have two heads (such as internal
plus NuBus, for example), the X server wants /dev/grf2 around as well
as /dev/grf0 and /dev/grf1.

Allen made this change to his server source before it was passed to me
and Scott.  Now, my server source is quite different from Scott's...

Ken