Subject: Re: One port, two Macs
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Howard S Shubs <hshubs@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 22:38:57
>I have a feeling their restriction is intended simply to limit the
>number of IP addresses. Is there a way to connect the two Macs and the
>one faceplate, via Ethernet, that uses only one IP address between the
>two? What hardware/software do I need?

You're probably right, but let's ignore that for now.

Assuming you have ethernet ports on the two Macs, you can daisy chain them
using thinwire (2baseT?) and plug one end of the chain into the school's
interface.  If they only want to give you one address, and won't route an
address you provide to them (hint hint), then you'll only be able to access
one of the machines from outside your net, and visa versa.  The two
machines should still be able to see each other, if you give the remaining
(unofficial) machine an address from out of the air, whose generation I
leave as an exercise for the student. (read: I can't tell you off-hand how
to do this)

Corrections welcome.

Howard S Shubs         hshubs@bix.com          Now, do you want the
The Denim Adept        hshubs@mindspring.com   -correct- answer?